Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Another day at the salt mines...

Yesterday we moved into new territory. The Hotel emptied out and our captured audience left to return to where they came from. .
I thought that with the hotel at 25% occupancy till Friday that we would have a break which is needed since Dori and I have been working from 7am till as late as 1am every day.
.
We started off slow with about half the breakfasts we did the day before but we got real busy in the evening for dinner after doing a decent lunch.
.
It wasn't our biggest day but we did more dinners last night than before and had people waiting at the bar for tables. Had a new waiter name of Greg start yesterday evening who did a great job. He had experience at La Roca and other places. He worked real well with the bartender and I only had to wait on about 3-4 tables all night and just mainly was the cashier and host. Certainly easier than being the Waiter, bartender and Cashier like I was for the last 9 days with very little help. We let go of one gal that was working with me in the evenings who just got in my way and slowed me down. She couldn't even get an order right from other Dominicans. UGH that was tough.
.
During the day I have Nelson working. He previously worked at the German Restaurant by the Bakery and speaks English very well also. He is doing a great job along with the bartender and is able to carry the whole restaurant also with little help from me.
.
People are liking the food and giving great feedback. We are instituting changes starting today with the way we are doing things thanks to our customers feedback. Food will come out better because of it and I thank you for it. If you eat here and there is anything that isn't right that isn't 100% obvious PLEASE say something as it is a tremendous help to us. We cant taste every dish that comes out so we need your help.
.
We have decided to close on Mondays so we can keep up. It also helps with the schedualing of personel and for the time being it is what we are going to do although it means a loss of 15% of the sales most likely. I need to complete the construction and I can't do it with people here during the process. We had fixtures installed with people eating and it was horrible.
.
Ok folks, just remember this Escottism...
.
"Friends don't let Friends go into the Restaurant Business" LOL
.
This has been a great learning experience for me and I actually enjoy it but working from 7 am to as late as 1 am every day gets old quickly. Can't keep this
.
Hasta Pronto!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are crazy working long hours in your "retirement". You need to get back up out of the boiler room and take control of your ship.

Slaving away is for employees. Surely you are the boss? Keep on nicking the best guys from your competition you will soon have better help.

Now I wish I could follow my own advice and stop getting involved in all my refurbs ;0)

Anonymous said...

You know, my friend, I guess there could be worse things, like not doing enough business to stay open. On the other hand, 7am until 1am is really a pain. I've often heard it said that the restaurant business is a labor of love. I tried it briefly and found that there simply isn't enough love in the world to make me want to do it again. Hang in there, and continued success to you.
I'm starting my countdown, so I'll see ya soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow, a busy fella you are!

Sounds like a very creative endeavor...

Claire has great advice...

Escott said...

Claire... First and foremost it was a real estate play for me. I wasn't suppose to work it. We opened a month early because the owner of the hotel asked me to because he had a full house from the 22nd on. I opened on the 19th.

Jackie... I just got in Frapin Cognac, leopold Gourmel Cognac and Delamain Cognac just for your palette. I got these just to see if you will cry after when you get the bill:) Come home soon!

Amity... Creative would not be the adjective I would use. Stupid is more like it:) Getting better since I have a great day and evening waiter now along with bartenders they work well with. Now I am just the cashier instead of all three. Life is now great. Closed Mondays from now on or until we get fully established with everything running right.

Escott