Thursday, April 19, 2007

Finca again

Yesterday while I was up at the finca looking around, feeding my goats Yucca tops and just enjoying myself I got a call from a fellow from Iowa who is looking into moving down here with his family. . It must be an exciting time for the family with the planning of something so different but it is a big move to move to a third world country which is far different than it was back in Iowa. You know the saying, "You ain't in Kansas anymore Toto"? Man "You ain't in Iowa anymore".
.
They have never been here before which kind of freaked me out. I would never consider a move without visiting at least a few times. I actually knew I would be living here at some point on my second trip down but on the many more trips down establishing myself I could have changed my mind with no harm or foul. These people are shopping for housing on the internet and already speaking with people. I tried to tell them to walk slower and that all the people you will talk to do NOT have their best interests in mind.
.
Most times I feel that people don't want to listen to advice that they ask for and sometimes wonder what is the use. As far as I am concerned the more the merrier here. I love the large and varied vibrant expat population here on the north coast and the larger it gets the more life this place has for me.
.
I feel like projecting the sound of brakes screeching to a halt but can't do much other than advise people to be very careful and doubly more so than they would be where they come from.
.
I had a customer who got their pocket picked by a Dominican Gal. The strangest part of this for me was that the customer was a NYC Police Officer with 15 years on the JOB! I looked at the guy and asked, "Does this happen to you in NY?" and he answered "Of course not, I know the game". I shook my head in amazement. Sometimes I think people check their minds at the door when they come here and that is the last thing you should be doing here.
.
I know they are reading this and that is how they found my number so I hope they are getting what I am saying. I would also love for them to move down, be a customer in my restaurant at least once a week and be friends with them but to be cautious is prudent when moving to a third world country and things here are more difficult at times then they are where you come from.
.
I love it here and wouldn't consider moving anywhere else at this point and certainly not back to the United States but... Be safe out there!
.
Hasta Pronto!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another Iowan, wow an invasion, whatever happened to the other one who lived near El Choco, Tom whats his name?

Escott said...

I don't travel in the same circle as he does and don't run across him much and not at all in the last year.

He is from Iowa? I guess Ted Bundy had a home also:)