Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Back on the Farm in Sosua Dominican Republic

Nope, work has not stopped at the finca. We keep marching on. What you are looking at is a cistern which is used to store water. Although we have community water at the finca the pumps are not running all the time and not even every day. Rules state that you need a minimum of 10000 Gallon storage of water and that is what we are digging at this time. If you don't know how much water 10000 gallons is I have a friend with a 6000 gallon pool. The first 12 or so inches is Black earth which is great for growing plants, fruits and veggies. The white stuff is soft stone when compacted is almost as hard as concrete and makes a great base for roads and driveways. Since I am taking this all out of the ground and will replace it with water I am using the materiel for road bed along with all the rock I took out when planting my veggies and fruits. the stuff on the right is easy to dig up. The stuff on the left is way more difficult. It comes out with a Pic Axe and Shovel. It is less expensive to use Haitian Labor than to pay for the diesel in a Excavator believe it or not but just not as fast. Things take a long time to get done here because of this. This is going to be the entrance to the farm. I have frontage on the principle road but kept that all flowers and stone walls. Didn't want to ruin the beauty with a road going down the middle.
.
BTW my servants quarters/storage building is complete. Doors and windows are in and the only thing left are the tile ridges on the roof but all the roof tiles are in. .
I have a TON of veggies almost ready now. Many different tomatoes, Yuca, Batata, melons, Passion fruit Chinola, cucumbers, squash, aloe, carrots, Noni and much much more!!! Looking good, looking good!
.
I think the new finca is actually more impressive than the old one. I like it a whole lot more and so do the animals. I am pretty sure I have two pregnant goats and a pregnant sheep also. Have I mentioned that I love kids:) The ones I have are growing every day and looking great!
.
I had to tie up the black female when I take her out of the pasture because she attempted to eat all my Yuca on her own. The other two babies are now restricted to the pasture for the same reasons. They love my Yuca and so do I:)
.
The comments have been picking up but I would love to hear more from you all. Tell me what you think and if you have any recommendations I would love to hear them.
.
Hasta Pronto!

No comments: