Monday, May 26, 2008

Goodies from the Farm in Sosua

When I went up to the farm to drop Elvis off we did some shopping. I got a couple of large Squash, a big watermelon below and Peanuts. We cut this bad boy in half and I took half home and Danny will take the other half home when he goes home tonight. Heck I can't eat the whole thing. The sucker must have weighed 40 lbs.

I know you don't know much about peanuts and either did I till I had them growing on my old finca that I sold but the peanuts grow under ground. You rip up the whole plant and pull the peanuts from the roots. You can roast them or eat them raw which is the way I like them.
.
Hasta Pronto!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Scott,
Very sorry to hear about your sprained ankle. Hope you feel better soon. By the way, it's funny how you assume none of your readers knows about peanuts. I may look like a city slicker from Boston (by way of New York City) but I used to be in the peanut business many years ago. As I like to say to my current colleagues "I used to work with nuts... and I still do." Some varieties of peanuts have both a tap root crop and a limb crop. Nuts from the limb crop rest on the ground, while the tap root crop is below ground. Hope this useless information brightens your day.

Regards,
Ben

Escott said...

Hey Ben,

can you get me some peanuts to plant of this other variety? Mine don't have nuts on the vine other than me:)

Escott said...

Howd you like those melons though? LOL

Unknown said...

Hey Scott, I'm heading to Sosua with those nuts in hand (that didn't sound right)! Will give you a call.