Thursday, January 12, 2006

Taco Tuesday and Easter Dinner/Silent Auction

The woman in the front is Meg or Megamania on DR1. She came to Taco Tuesday with her Hubby and another couple. Her friends were a bit fearful going on a dirt road full of potholes for a mile wondering where the hell they were going but they had a great time and I enjoyed meeting her and her crew! They hail from outside of Toronto and this was their first trip to the Dominican Republic and the North Coast.
We had a great big crowd this time considering the rainy weather with the storm moving in and out. We had been slow for the Holidays while people had other things going on so it was refreshing to see a larger group this week.

Yes, Niko the Commie was there and it of course is always great to see him and hang out with him. His take on this place cracks me up. I couldnt believe he told a couple from San Francisco that it was his first time to the Dominican Republic. I cocked my head to hear his explanation and I was just shaking my head and smiling. Niko has lived here for 8 years and never left after his first visit.

My question which remains unanswered is "Did you stay here to avoid the Gulag?" LOL

Niko and I operate a small real estate business here on the North Coast. Check out our website at http://www.sosua-cabarete.com While this business is fairly new I have been a licensed real estate broker since 1981 in NY State and have been an investor/developer/landlord and have done mortgages as an investor for even longer than that. Niko also has vast experience in Europe and the Dominican Republic although I don't know the time frames.

Between us we have a great network of information and if we don't have the answer we will know whom to call.

This lovely woman is an architect from San Francisco who along with her hubby who works at Ebay joined us last night. I was glad they made it and were also able to follow my perfect directions:) They have been here for 5 weeks and this was their last chance to attend a Taco Tuesday. Glad to have met you guys!

This is Camden Tom, Mary Lips, Doug Hicks and his lovely wife Linda who is an interior decorator.

When I first did this bit on the blog I was listening to Rubi 92.5 Fm and Rocket the DJ who also attended Taco Tuesday was speaking on the radio about meeting Doug. Doug is a retired NHL Hockey player and he said he was going to get him into the station for an interview. Cool to hear this as I was writing about it!

Most of the money from Escotts 6th Annual Thanksgiving Dinner and 1st Annual Childrens Benefit Auction has been collected. Actually only one person hasn't paid as of this morning when I met with Robert to discuss a few things. While Robert and I don't see eye to eye on a few things I believe we are both invested in doing good things for the children of the North Coast of the Dominican Republic and possibly spreading out to the rest of the country in the future. DR1 is a great asset in promoting the raising of money for these purposes along with Rubi 92.5. If you find it strange that we work together on these things this is the reason why and I think we can do great things together. He just can't edit my blog anymore and I am a happy guy:)

We raised over $6500 US dollars at our first event which I consider a BIG amount for here yet a very small amount considering the potential of what we can do. I am looking to raise a minimum of 10,000 US dollars and hopefully a lot more at my next event on Easter Sunday. We have much more time to get this together than we did. A three person committee has been formed to discuss where the money both present and future should go. I heard some feedback and was very impressed with the thoughts already on the table. We will present more to you shortly and we will document what happens so you will know your help is going in the right direction.

Next week I am going to post the details of Escott's 6th Annual Easter Bash and Silent Auction Childrens Benefit we are going to have. This will be sponsored both by DR1 and Rubi 92.5 Fm which also happens to be the Radio Station of choice on the North Coast of the Dominican Republic. You can also listen to it live on the internet by the way.

If you have items to donate or even wish to donate plain old money please email me with the details at Jazzpaging@yahoo.com and you will be included in our first promotions of this event and we will follow through promoting and including your business or your person. This can be a win/win situation for everyone that gets involved especially if you want to promote your business at the same time you are making a donation.

Together we can make a difference to the children of the North Coast of the Dominican Republic! Please get involved.

Hasta Pronto!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know my donations in the bag, and this time I've made arrangements to come out and participate. I'm looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

I will donate a website layout/design to a value of 9000 pesos, or layout of brochure or other graphical work such as logo, menu, promo sheets etc to an equal amount of money.

Escott said...

Jackie Baby... I know I can count on you! Want you to be there as much as you want to be there!!

Carina... Gracias