Tuesday, June 20, 2006

My Day off and a Granite top again...

Well different day and same crap. . I have to admit I am getting a little bit smarter with my work here in the DR. This is the second choice of Granite that I picked out which was supposed to be the same price as the first piece but the guy decides when I am ready to give him a deposit that he has to recalculate the price of the damn thing and I never got one since he hasn't called me back since he made a pattern on Thursday.
.
This time instead of going to Santiago I went to a place in Puerto Plata. This way I was able to combine the trip with my shopping for the tile I need to rebuild the front of the restaurant which of course they didn't have the freakin tile either for the 3rd week in a row:).
.
So, today the woman from the shop in Puerto Plata is supposed to show up to measure and perhaps make a pattern for the Granite if we can agree on price. Of course that is IF she shows up. I called the fellow from Induca who gave me a price on a storefront for the inside of the restaurant so I can make an air conditioned dining room who also hasn't shown up for two weeks last night and he said he WILL be here today by 11am. Hah, think I will hold my breath?
.
Don't fret people, they don't just treat gringos like this. I stopped off at a friends store and she was waiting for Verizon to show up for the telephone. She was complaining to me that they don't show up on time thinking that SHE is Dominican and will be late anyway. She complained to me about this yesterday. Poor gal thinks she is being discriminated against:) These people all do business in this manner and to me it is a surprise that they are able to stay in business but alas, different culture and different expectations.
.
Well both the Granite woman along with 2 helpers and the StoreFront guy showed up today. Man am I lucky or what? Not only that but the guy making my light fixtures showed up also and said he is returning at 1pm to hang lights. Can you imagine me getting everything done I wanted to get done today? Wonders will never cease here in the Dominican Republic.
.
Today I am going to try to go to Taco Tuesday. Haven't been there in a while and would love to chill out with my friends there. Whoo hoo!
.
Hasta Pronto!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scott, glad to hear that you are taking some time to visit amigos. We were worried that when we got down there in 2 1/2 weeks you wouldn't be coming out of the restaurant to play :)
Linda and Doug