Sunday, February 05, 2006

Very little power from the Electric Grid in the DR

February, 5 - 9:02 AM Towards week’s end 22 energy plants shut down in DR Santo Domingo.- The Dominican capita was practically dark towards the week’s end, because 22 power plants were out of service, aggravating the energy crisis in the country. Generation was barely at 96 megawatts, with a deficit of 504 megawatts to satisfy national demand, once the Itabo, the two Cogentrix units and two others were taken out of service.
Please read the rest of the story at:
Someone asked me in one of the comments if things were getting any better here in the Dominican Republic now because I mentioned a few months ago that I longed for the days when Hippo, the past President/Crook was in power again and I missed him.
.
Well under him the electric was even worse however he caused the peso to depreciate more rapidly against the Dollar than any time before in history and until prices crept up everything here was a steal to those with US Dollar incomes. I remember having a full steak dinner for $3 US dollars in pesos that was outstanding. Now the same meal is $10-12 US dollars and same for even a six pack of beer. What I can't understand is how/why Budweiser beer here which is imported is less expensive in the supermarket National. Labor is so much less expensive and how about shipping and duty on imported beer for heavens sake. Presidente is probably just GOUGHING in my humble opinion. There should be a national boycott or maybe we should all just drink the less expensive beers till they feel the pinch.
.
Oh well this is my paradise and I will take the good with the bad. Unlike some of my countrymen who live here my income is sufficient to stay and still live great. I do feel sorry for those that moved here on limited incomes only to be priced out. I cushioned myself with local investments here so I would NOT be affected by the daily ups and downs. As costs went up so did my income so I can't complain other than the fact I almost had a free ride going for a few years and it isn't that way anymore but it is still good.
.
If you have money I am convinced that this is the LAND OF OPPORTUNITY. Do NOT come here and have to make an income because that would be tough.
Hasta Pronto!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, leave Budweiser out of this. I have a hard enough time finding it when I'm there, I don't need you to create a pricing problem for me on top of it. LOL.

Escott said...

Hey I am not trying to cause problems. Heck you can buy Buds at Eddys Sports Bar today during the Superbowl for 50 Pesos a bottle. Man that is a great price!

I am staying in your house with Carina and 22 of our closest friends now because there is no electric here other than your house. Thanks for buying a house with that sort of ocnvienence!

Escott said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Escott said...

Hey do I smell like I have Bud Breath? LOL

Anonymous said...

First of all, if you or anyone else can get past the front gate of the house, somebody is out of a job. However, I do need to remember that the only reason I bought the house was for my friends there on the North Coast. And, the pool is going in tomorrow. (It's not often that I make myself laugh, but even I had to pick myself up off of the floor after that one!)

Secondly, you have to have something to be able to sell it. If I recall correctly, the last time I was at Eddy's they were advertising Bud, but didn't have any available. That's why I kept making the arguement to Dori that you weren't going to show--so I could sneak off and find my Bud. Hahaha. But, I guess that that's a good indicator that Bud sells well in the DR, even if only in the expat areas of the DR. No problem, I'll be returning to Eddy's if for no other reason than to have some more of Dori's cooking.

And, yes Carina, you are correct, Jose Luis does have the Bud. I bought their last 11 bottles when I was there with my friends. Unfortunately 11 bottles doesn't go far between 3 guys. I don't recall the price, as I didn't ask. I saw 11 bottles in the refrigeration unit and grabbed them before someobody else came along and grabbed them while I was busy trying to figure out the price.

Escott said...

Hey Jackie, didn't Carina tell you? The pool is already in and has been for a few days already. I want to give you my heart felt thanks!

The Watchyman only looks at Dominicans my friend. Gringos are cool! You may have a hard time getting in when you return as we have trained him pretty good!

You should have been to Dori's yesterday. You would have gotten a good laugh at me wearing a red apron and waiting on tables. I worked my ass off and must have served 35 dinners in 2-3 hours. Went home and went to sleep. Man I AIN'T use to working I guess:)

I have to stop eating there as often as I do. It is getting embarrassing eating there 15 out of 22 days of his being open!

Next time you are in town "This buds on me". Heck it is the least I can do for my friend Jackie! LOL

Escott