Friday, January 20, 2006

KNOCK my SOCKS OFF!

If this post doesn't give you reason to comment I think you may be brain dead.

About 6 years ago I started organizing get togethers which turned out to be HUGE attracting sometimes 200 people and more. Mostly Expats and Visitors who come often to the Dominican Republic. It was an excuse to form a big network of people for the common good. Many many friendships, mucho Business and even future jobs were organized at these gatherings. Last year for Thanksgiving I finally did a fundraiser which I have been trying to get together for years organized and it was put on. It was also a great success!

We have put together a core group of people to facilitate the distribution of the moneys and to also come up with ideas to make this an ongoing effort. Everyone volunteers or I volunteer them (LOL) and no one makes a dime out of this. We have no salaries or overhead. The talent is incredible and as this grows the talent will also grow as there is no limit of great people that care living on the Island who are anxious to help out. I have heard only parts of what has been discussed and I am totally impressed. No FLUFF here folks. NO BS and no one lining their pockets!

We are now setting up the 6th Annual Easter Bash and the 1st Annual Childrens Benefit Silent Auction. At the 1st Annual Childrens Benefit Live Auction we raised 6500 US dollars which was big for the Dominican Republic. I hope to raise a minimum of 10,000 US Dollars at the Silent Auction. Friends have already been sending in donations of goods and services and we are starting to put this all together.

One friend Avacado Brian who has just set up a legal distillery and winery in the DR gave me my first donation of a mixed case of Booze and Wine. Another friend Jack Quontee donated $1000.00 US Dollars which is 10% of my goal right there. Helmut and Amparo donated addition items which were very popular at the last Auction. I have to meet someone for lunch next week to firm up a great donation at a very popular resort on the North Coast which will be a headliner for the auction. The only promotion I have done so far is on this blog but we will go public in the next week.

I got email from Sunnie today. She is in her 20's, did a tour in Iraq, was discharged from the US Army, moved to the Dominican Republic, works for Dominican Wages and donated $500 US Dollars. Man this really moved me and although not the biggest donation to date it is HUGE considering all the factors I just wrote!

^5 Sunnie, thank you so much for opening up your heart and benefiting the Children of the North Coast of the Dominican Republic. You da Woman!

So, folks who are reading this please open up your hearts and join the other great people trying to make a difference here in the Dominican Republic. Together we can accomplish HUGE things here. Alone we can only educate one kid.

Hasta Pronto!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to see the flogging blogger is back...

Anonymous said...

yay! Excellent to see the silent auction kicking off so nicely already. Wonderful donations. And Sunnie has a great big heart.

Dawn